Monday, November 9, 2009

Architectural Alchemy: Dibujos sin Papel ~ Assignment 5

In this project, I find out it is very straight forward that we are actually modeling a drawing only. Therefore, I pick the main space that is a book stacks area with reading spaces which is at the third floor. I am going to model an axon drawing of the third floor plan in and show different level of the floor plans. I want to suggest an idea that there are different pieces of territories (floor levels) in order to create a feeling of walking /on an island.

For the stereotomic model, I first took a long time to create a mold.

So, the model should look exactly like the mold after pouring (only in the successful case). For more detail, I would like to give the model some textures on the sides that won't affect the drawing quality when it is viewed from the top. Also, I want to do two different pourings on both sides (top and bottom). In this case, I would make a concrete model molding with the top part that project/bugle out and a plaster model molding with the bottom part that is concave inward. The models will become yin and yang opposites. Additionally, the concrete model will have the rigid textures and the plaster will have the fancy curve form textures.

Furthermore, is this idea work? I think pouring is the key. It seemed that I did it too fast, at the same time, I found out the mold was quite big that I did not have enough concrerte, and it ended up that I had to put a lot of water to fulfill the molded space. Also, the concrete seemed harder than I thought after dry, which it stuck so tight with the mold and it was hard to pull out from it. So finally, the result is ....

At this moment, I am frustrated. A question comes up that should I start again or should I forget this crazy thought and just do a basic simple one like a plain plaster model only or should I give up the stereotomic drawing and do only the tectonic drawing for the review ... ... to be continued

So, welcome back to the second part of the "episode," of course, I will never give up to achieve what I want; therefore, I recreating a new mold, which I would call "iMold7." It is stronger with foam board and built by one piece for most parts. Also, it is more durable with tape reinforced.


At the same time, I am not only upgrading the mold, but also updating the material. Because I feel like the concrete cement is not my type and it only deserves for the tough guy like Matt. I would like to use something that is more gentle like me and that would be Mr. Plaster which I would only use it for both sides. I am also prepared this time and hope that it would be enough. Trust me!


At the last part, I had to summit my failure again but I did better this time. At least, I got something...although it is broken apart. The reason of failure this time is because I was too greedy that I thought I could get two models in one mold at the same time. It ended up that I did not know how to take both out and I had to break one for saved another one. Anyway, I believe the model still shows a little bit of drawing quality of the plan axon although it is not in the way that I want... Also, I believe I will do better next time. (hope that I can redo it if time available, not for the grade, but explore the real potential of this texture idea).


On the other hand, for the tectonic drawing, I tried to "drawing" out the topographic of the roof of my library design since I felt that might be a good chance to study the form of it in 3D. However, it ended up to look like a model instead of a "drawing," and it was used as a crit. list later. I also tried couple another "drawings" like perspective or section by wood after. For the final decision, I was recommended to make the exact same "drawing" of the floor plan like the stereotomic one. Therefore, I "drew" the axon floor plan again by wire this time. The wire created a plan-like drawing on the top; nevertheless, it had different height/length from the sides.

1 comment:

  1. sorry to read in the city tribune that the attempt was a failure... to tell you the truth (and as i mentioned to you on friday), i wasn't really sure it was going to work... in any case, you want to start again with a, perhaps, more simpler model: use plaster, use the materials to give the texture, build it quickly with foam-core, etc. you really do want the stereotomic model AND the tectonic one...

    ReplyDelete