Monday, November 2, 2009

Architectural Alchemy: Dibujos sin Papel ~ Assignment 5 (Pre. Ver.)

In this assignment, we are doing 2 drawing without paper "draw-dels" again but in the different ways. For the tectonic drawing, I choose to use different sizes/colors of wires to sharp the topographic condition of the roof since I feel that is one of the best way to show people what is going on about the roof and also help me to investigate and figure out the real situation on the roof top. The thick wires will sharp those 6 sections with the roof conditions that already drawn out in previous mapping and the thinner wires (many) will connections those sections and create a land form of the roof.

For the stereotomic one , I decide to show the hierarchy of the floor levels (to suggest the ideas that there are different pieces of lands to form the island) inside the library in section or plan. If it is in section, the whole building will be like chopping in pieces and I am only taking/doing the middle part of it. I would like to use plaster to form the regular section cut (from both sides in the middle, so people can see through from left to right sides) of the whole building sharp. Therefore, the void inside the plaster is actually the space inside the library and the floor levels would be shown clearly inside; however, the thing that I concern is the scale of it. Even it is in 1 to 20 engineering scale, the wall and floor depth are still thin that I am worry if they will break especially the floors have to stretch so long and I haven't decide any structure system like columns to support it. (unless I reinforce the floors by putting the wire inside...it's tough). Or I can use the plaster to sharp only one of the floor plans such as the third floor. The solid part refer to the book stacks in spaces and the void indicated the public space like reading areas.

If it is in plan, I believe wax is a good material to use. There are different floor plans cut out and place in different layers of the wax. Then, variety levels of floors are sat inside the box of wax and I think it can be only seen under the light since the wax is not that transparent. So, I am worry about its scale related to its cost by using wax and the flatness of it since there are only horizontal floor plans, I might put in some vertical elements with foam to make it more dynamic inside the rigid wax box. So, which stereotomic drawing seems to have more possibility?

1 comment:

  1. remember that the drawings w.out paper are not models of the original project... but, models of the drawings. so, the problem of thickness/thinness that you describe doesn't have to be so. in addition, the possibilities that wax offers is that its also translucent (so, you can add/float elements into the wax that could be read into the material) besides the stereotomic qualities.

    ReplyDelete